We have received a great interest on how to create Holy Water, what exactly is it and how it can be used. I provide a detailed article along with a Video on Witch TV which shows you a simple yet effective method on creating your own Holy Water. Let’s have a look at its history.
History of Holy Water:
Holy Water today has been very popular within the Christian tradition- Catholicism, Anglicanism and Christian Orthodoxy are only few of the Christian traditions that use holy water for the use of baptism, the blessing of the person, space or items and for repelling evil entities. However, the principle of Holy Water predates Christian times and has been used by many pagan Religions as well.
Water was always strongly connected with the Divine Feminine, the Goddess, and one can easily see the significance it bore in ancient cultures as the giver and sustainer of life. We can observe in nature that the tides follow the patterns of the Moon and the menstruation cycle ‘usually’ follows the same pattern. The Moon causes great changes in the body of water which covers today 2/3 of the planet, interestingly more than 70% of our bodies is water and the modern scientific tools can only assist us see the resemblance. It also affects the tides, the movement and the reproduction of all aquatic inhabitants and astrology has identified it as an important influence of our emotions.
Many Lunar Goddesses were associated with the element of water such as Isis, Selene, Yemaya, Danu and it was common practice to honour these Goddesses by leaving offerings at the sea, rivers and lakes. Anyone who has witnessed the energy of a big waterfall or the turbulent sea during a storm can easily recognise the influence that water has in all of us. History is full with beautiful tales about water that ignite our imagination and bring forward our magical aspects. Many myths depict water from various wells and streams as holy, bearing magical properties usually guarded by nymphs and natural spirits.
Wells especially were considered the wombs of mother Earth. A lot of spells include water as one of the vital ingredients, sea foam, rain water, morning dew are only some other forms of H2O which are respected and bring extra power to spells and rituals.At the same time, I want to remind you that water was also seen as the portal to other worlds. Many cultures such as the Greeks and the Vikings to name a few, believed that Death was a boatman delivering the souls of the departed to the Otherworld. In addition, many cultures believed that water spirits could be dangerous or benevolent, that they bore witness to the creation of the world and they were keepers of secrets holding the keys for passage to other worlds.
In Ancient Greece and Rome, Holy Water was collected from the Sacred Springs and was brought to temples to be blessed and distributed among individuals to cleanse and bless themselves.In Hinduism bathing in the Sacred Water of Ganga (the Goddess of the Ganges river) is believed that will relieve followers from any sins, misfortune and will offer spiritual protection and blessings. In addition, Lord Varuna (the God of Divine Waters) is being evoked and bless through the waters.
One cannot fail and see that in almost every Religion, Water was seen as a Holy Element of Life and Death and was consecrated and charged spiritually to remove negativity, offer protection, cleanse the person and the property and provide Divine Blessings. In esoteric traditions, Water is believed to connect everything that exists and acts as a very potent vessel of energy. Moreover, is often believed that the easiest way to depict the energy flowing in our World is to see it as a body of Water with its currents and tides moving and glowing freely. Finally, I am sure you may have read about the studies conducted by Masaru Emoto on the impact of our thoughts in the formation of Water Crystals, an amazing study which verifies what many cultures have believed previously. More information on his studies can be found on this personal page www.masaru-emoto.net
How to Make Holy Water
The process of making Holy Water can be as complicated or as simple the individual is feeling confident with. The 2 essential steps are: 1) The use of collected water either from the tap, rain, a sacred river etc. 2) Connection with the Divine in order to channel the Divine Energy into the water. Below and in our video I present a slightly more detailed process which I have found to be very effective for both beginners and more adept Witches. We provide the ingredients and the Steps below:
Ingredients for the Holy Water:
- Water, Salt,
- A glass,
- A vessel for storage (a vial, a bottle etc.),
- A pen
- A sheet of A4 paper
Steps to create Holy Water
1. A sacred symbol of your choice is being drawn on the paper and is placed in a circle. The perimeter of the circle should be large enough to surround the glass. This circle will act as a focal point in order to infuse the water with the properties we want and the circle will assist in our visualisation.
2. Add water in the glass and add a pinch of salt. Then Say:
“Water and Salt I mix now, The Elixir of Life and Death is being created, May the Light always Surround it, Blessed be”
You can swirl the mixture with your wand, a spoon or with your finger. However, please remember that you have cleaned any objects that you are going to use (aseptic technique is not required but recommended).
3. Place the Glass with the Water and Salt on the sheet of paper so that it covers the Holy Symbol and the bottom of the glass is surrounded by the perimeter of the circle.
4. Visualise a ray of White Light coming from the Heavens/God(s) through the ceiling creating a column that encompasses the glass and connects with the Holy symbol. Feel the Energy flowing and making both the water and salt mixture and the symbol alive. Feel the properties of the symbol being infused in the Water. Feel the light pulsing in the mixture.
5. As you feel the Divine Energy flowing in you, use your active hand and pass it over the glass. Feel the Divine Energy being channeled in the Water. Pass your hand as many times you need in order to charge the water.
6. The Holy Water is charged with Divine Energy and is ready to be used. If you are a more visual type make sure you visit our Youtube channel available below in order to see the process.
Uses of Holy Water
Drink Holy Water that you have created when you require protection, banishment of negativity and to rejuvenate your Energy. Sprinkle Holy Water in your personal Space to remove negativity, shift the energy and for Protection. You can sprinkle your magical objects (or any other object) to cleanse the object and bless it). Add it to your Bath – Similar to drinking it, adding it to your bath will assist with protection, banishment, rejuvenation and blessings. Holy Water can be used as a base for many magical Recipes that require Water if you require an extra charge or vice verse you can use Charged Water from another recipe as the base of your Holy Water. In general, my Grandmother used to mix different types of charged water with Holy Water to ensure that the recipe is going to be put in good use by the person. Some other ideas and magical Recipes with Water can be found below:
- Lunar Water – Charged with the power of the Moon for Beauty, Fertility, Protection and Psychic Powers
- Water Of Mars – Charged with the Power of Mars to Remove Obstacles and Negativity, to Unbind and Uncross, to Remove Jinx and Curses and to Provide Protection
- Rose Water: For Beauty, Love Spells, Good Luck Wish Spells and Divination
- First Spring Rain Elixir: For Good Luck and Blessings. Use first spring rain as the base of your Holy Water.
- Amethyst Elixir: For Blessings and Positive Energy
- Forty Waves: Use the Water you have collected and bless it with the Holy Water process for Banishment and for Blessings. For the video you can click here.
We invite you to use Holy Water in your daily practice and witness the results it can bring in your life.